Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I will turn you into the Dragon Warrior, or somesuch


At his weakest moment, when Po had given up on himself, he tried desperately to escape. He was convinced he could never be the Dragon Warrior and that he could not face arch villain Tai Lung. He was intercepted by his teacher, Master Shifu.

“C’mon! How am I supposed to beat Tai Lung? I can’t even beat you to the stairs” shouts Po.”
You will beat him because you are the Dragon Warrior,” says Shifu.
I will make you the Dragon Warrior

“You don’t believe that,” cries Po. “You never believed that. From the first moment I got here, you’ve been trying to get rid of me.”

“Yes, I was… Yes! But now I ask you to trust in your master the way I have come to trust in mine,” replies Shifu.

“You’re not my master, and I’m not the Dragon Warrior,” says Po.

“Then why didn’t you quit?” shouts Shifu. ” You know I was trying to get rid of you, yet you stayed!”

“Yeah, I stayed,” said Po. “I stayed because every time you threw a brick at my head or said I smelled, it hurt, but it could never hurt more than it did every day of my life just being me.

“I stayed because I thought that if anyone could change me… could make me… not me… it was you: the greatest Kung Fu teacher in all of China.”

Here Po admits that he too was trying to become something he is not. Just like Shifu was trying to make him into something he is not.

“But I can change you!” pleaded Shifu. “I can turn you into the Dragon Warrior! And I will!”

Po laughs, “Come on. Tai Lung is on his way here right now. And even if it takes him 100 years to get here, how are you going to change this [his fat body] into the Dragon Warrior? Huh? How? How? How!”

Shifu pauses introspectively, realizing Po is right, “I don’t know. I don’t know.”

“That’s what I thought,” said Po.

The problem with many people is that they are subjected to external stimuli such as this and accept it, even assimilate it. Individuals with strong personalities are usually pretty good about establishing their own identities, but others, like me, have to work hard for.

Somewhere underneath it all is you, your brain and your heart. God and DNA ensure that humans and snowflakes are individually unique. Most of us can think for ourselves and those of us with a conscience feel emotions and embrace beliefs based on how we feel and what we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment