Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I NEED MOTIVATION! So I ordered a magazine

I subscribed today to Runner's World, a magazine I gave up on several years ago because they kept publishing the same stories and giving the same advice over and over and over.... Really, how much is there to say about running? You either do it or not. There is no Nickel Defense or Triangle Offense. There is no right or wrong club, and there are no pawns and bishops.

Uhhh... another reason to subscribe?
You put one foot in front of the other. Repeat.

Why the change of heart? Two reasons:

1. As I continue to, er, train for the Portland Marathon, I find my motivation ebbing and procrastination flowing. I'm doing this one alone: no training partners, no friends nor running clubs... sheesh, even my wife will not join me. So while I should have already run 12 miles for my long run, I find that I've not gone further than 8 miles, which I did several weeks ago. I need focus. I need direction.

Reading the articles, features, advice, etc., puts me in a running frame of mind. Strangely, I find the prose and photos of running motivating. I guess it is kind of like watching golf or tennis on television: when I see it, I want to play it.

2. Go figure, there's some new stuff here. New in the sense that a seasoned runner will learn more about new studies and methods on running performance. There are recipes for those who want low fat or high energy meals to boost their training.

I first picked up Runner's World years ago to help walk me through the process of training for a marathon. When I pretty much got that part down (and presently ignoring all that I learned), the magazine - or any others like it - were of no use.

Alas, the publishers at Runner's World know that there are people like me who do not care to qualify for the Olympics and who have already run a marathon or two.

So the magazine now reveals to me ways to understand and treat the many injuries my older body suffers, how to eat better, and tips on training and equipment.

So you see, this damn rag has inspired me once again. Hopefully it will help me figure out a way to cram for my marathon training for a race that is merely 2 months away. (Runner's World, by the way, would most likely tell me not do this).


1 comment:

  1. Hope you find your motivation to continue running as it is a good form of exercise that keep us in shape.

    www.motivationstuff.com/good-thoughts.htm

    ReplyDelete