Wednesday, September 5, 2012

3 miles, carbohydrates and The Replacements

Ran another 3 miles tonight. On the one hand I am glad I am exercising. On the other hand, this repetitive 3 mile cycle is probably not helping at all. I need to resume tempo runs and long runs.

My lovely wife made a huge pasta dinner the other night, which means that I have gorged on noodles for a few days because no one in my family eats leftovers except me. My wife calls me the garbage man (I think endearingly).

So during the whole discussion about nutrition and carbohydrate consumption we learned that,

A. You need carbohydrates to give you the energy necessary to train and exercise well, and

B. It is really good to consume carbohydrates after a workout because your body will have depleted stores of glycogen and will crave the stuff.

So what's bumming me out about the repetitive 3-mile runs is that I have stabilized carbohydrate consumption, meaning that I am probably not burning enough carbohydrates and fat because I keep replenishing carbohydrates after evening runs.

In fact, I'm probably getting a little tubby because my zeal for pasta is dramatically more passionate than my yin for exercise.

Therefore, I need to tip the scales by burning glycogen stores and fats by running for more than 45 minutes or by intense exercise through tempo runs.

Sure, I could cut back on the pasta, but whoever is going to force that on me can go to hell. Because life on earth without linguine and clam sauce is indeed Dante's Inferno.

Finally, as per the usual, I was blessed (or haunted) by a single song this evening. Now I will afflict you with it.


2 comments:

  1. I have four songs by The Replacements on my "most awesome playlist in the solar system" (TM).

    But, I hate 3 mile runs. Interval training and plyometrics maintains my interest longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, plyometrics. That explains your Ninja-like skills.

      The Replacements - and Paul Westerberg - are surprisingly excellent selections for running. And maybe 1980s weekend benders.

      Delete