Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A second lesson in Taoism from someone who does not practice Taoism


A quick illustration of Taoism is presented in an explanation of the painting The Vinegar Tasters, which is also described in the landmark Benjamin Hoff book on Taoism, The Tao of Pooh. (Curious title. Can't see how Hoff got it to work.) You should check them out. I'll wait.

There is a religious Taoism, but that is not what I am describing. The Tao I describe is a philosophy, a way of life. Like stoicism or epicureanism, the philosophic Taoism is a way of understanding our universe and living in it. In fact, it has been said that Jimmy Buffet is not a singer but a way of life. If anything exemplifies Taoism better than Margaritaville, I don't know what it is. Then again, I don't get out much. Well, except to train for marathons.

In any case, if the concept of Taoism upsets your religious sensibilities, relax. I'm not trying to convert you. Hell, I'm not even a Taoist myself. I am a Christian, but I do subscribe to some of the basic tenets of the Tao, which by the way, can be found -- if you think about it -- in Christianity and other faiths.

But I digress. This blog is about running a marathon. I have a way to go before I convince you of this. And by way, I mean Tao. A segue, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment