Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Friggin' Foot Pain Mystery Solved!

So, the excruciating pain in my left toe/foot that practically stopped me in my tracks around mile 15 is... drumroll... capsulitis.

The pain in my foot felt like what many describe as plantar faciitis, but the pain didn't seem to occur where most people say plantar faciitis strikes.

The doc told me today that capsulitis is actually pretty common among runners and that it can be addressed with either a shot of cortisone - which might weaken the ligaments around bones and cause the bones to separate under extreme circumstances -- and/or a metatarsal pad, which is something of an orthotic insert in the shoe.

I'll wear that around until the Rouge Orleans Ultra. We'll see how it works. Will report on the success.

No comments:

Post a Comment