Friday, October 28, 2011

Café Ole’!

... for those living in the less civilized world outside Louisiana, "Cafe' Ole'" is a play on the favorite New Orleans caffeinated beverage cafe au lait. Clever, no?

Normally, morning runs begin for me with a glass of Gatorade. It's just a little something to charge my system, which is otherwise relying on an empty stomach to power up the old machinery.

Today's run was preceded by said Gatorade and complemented with an unplanned cup o' joe. I resisted today's alarm clock call to hit the street, and before I knew it, the kids' morning routine (breakfast, prep for school, brush teeth, etc., in which I play an important role) and my jogging time collided. One thing led to another and, whoops, there I am drinking a cup of coffee before my run.

Some frown on coffee, some cheer it. I for one enjoy it... occasionally. It is not part of my normal routine, but sometimes when it finds its way into the routine, I won't resist. This morning it actually proved quite useful as I was pretty damn tired. Indeed, this morning was a good run.

There are those who are less concerned about coffee's positive stimulant effect than they are about the downside potential of losing control of one's continence.

Studies show caffeine is linked to better performance and that it won’t likely contribute to more urine production.

Caffeine reacts differently during exercise than at rest. According to Ellen Coleman, R.D., author of Eating for Endurance, the effects of coffee consumption prior to exercise depends on the runner too.

If you normally drink coffee, a little coffee before the race won’t likely hurt. If you are not a regular coffee drinker, it’ll relax your plumbing, so if you try it before the race be mindful of the nearest exits.

That is a good cup o' joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment