Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fall! Finally!

I woke this morning to temperatures in the upper 30s. Not a big phenomenon in the rest of the US, but in Louisiana, Hallelujah! Finally! Runners have been sweating it out in the 80s -- and by the way, despite the inviting low temps, it'll creep back up into the 80s later this week. But for now, we'll celebrate the cold snap.

In Louisiana we have four seasons. Football, Mardi Gras, crawfish and hurricane. Really. Our calendars date back to Pope Gregory or Ptolemy or something. For 8 months, it is hotter than Hades. The other 4 month are what other parts of the country might describe as spring. No matter what you call the season or what the tempertures are, a marathon trainee needs to stick with the program no matter the weather.

I find that the best way to regulate conditions is to wear comfortable clothes and remain hydrated. See What to wear, because what you wear actually does matter. In this mildly cold weather, it is good to wear a long-sleeve cotton or technical shirt because you want to take off the chill but not wear too much to sweat profusely and overhead.

I am pretty obsessive about what I wear and how it keeps me comfortable ever since the 1997 New York Marathon in which I shamelessly be-cloaked my body in a Hefty bag by cutting holes for head and arms to protrude

No comments:

Post a Comment