Saturday, November 5, 2011

Form follows function

It seems a funny thing to discuss form in the context of running. Is there such a thing? Humans have been running ever since they became bipedal and when Adam realized Eve was naked. Running is a natural capability that we all share - some faster or more goofy than others, but nonetheless equally endowed with the same propensity to locomote.

Me... on a good day.
Yet, in my experience, I have discovered that there is such a thing as good form, which is important to maximize efficiency and comfort. The more efficiently and comfortably you run, the more likely you will enjoy running. And if you enjoy something, what other motivation do you need to strive for your Big Thing goals?
A runner who lumbers along leaning forward, with hands and arms awkwardly flailing is an inefficient runner. Running inefficiently will lead to quick fatigue, possible injury and certainly an uncomfortable experience. And these symptoms will ruin your motivation to run. All that from bad form? Yeah.

Also, it is my experience that I really don't feel in the groove until about mile 3. My starts are sometimes a little awkward and my pace can be erratic. After about 20+ minutes of jogging - or 3 miles - I am sufficiently warmed up to settle into a good, comfortable stride.

Admittedly, I have just revealed that I do not warm up prior to hitting the streets. Running gods like Jeff Galloway and Hal Higdon would cast down their dour frowns from Olympus and chastise me for disrespecting the sport. True. You should warm up. I don't. I'm not going to preach it to you because (a) I'm no preacher, and (b) it would be hypocritical. If you have time and interest in such things, smarter people than me advise you to warm up before jogging.

Once you've settled into a comfortable stride, I believe you will naturally assume "proper form". Here again, I follow my own running religion when it comes to defining proper form. I have followed techniques described by Greta Waltz and Jeff Galloway but always fall back into my own unique form.
If you’re like me, it will take some time to find it. And on some days, when your muscles are not quite feeling it, or if you’ve missed a few days of running, or sometimes for some inexplicable reason, your body will follow a form of its own.
I prefer long runs over the shorter ones because after 2 to 3 miles I settle into a good stride, which makes the rest of the run more managable and even comfortable. Sure, the longer you run the more pounding your body will endure, so, yeah, you'll eventually feel discomfort. But if you're form is good and your stride is relaxed, you will run more efficiently and comfortably, getting you closer to your small goals (long runs x, y and z) and the Big Thing goal (marathon!).


The best way, in my opinion and experience, to develop and maintain good form is to exercise regularly. Muscles that sit on the couch for days then are called into action are not in peak condition. On the other hand, muscles that regularly feel the burn stand ready to be called into service.

When you do eventually get off your tuckus and hit the road, here are some tips to remember:

TIP 1: Keep hands about waist level, even brushing lightly against your hip. Holding hands high creates tension – not to mention it looks goofy – and it tires you out more quickly.

TIP 2: Keep your body erect, with head up, back straight and shoulders level. Try to envision what famed running guru Jeff Galloway calls the marionette. There’s no point in describing it. You know what a marionette looks like. Just picture it. And please don’t confuse a marionette with a ventriloquist dummy.

TIP 3: Heads up! Keep your head up by looking ahead. I will even look up into the trees and sky. You’d be surprised how well adapted your brain is at keeping you running straight and avoiding obstacles when you look up above. Watching the ground in front of you will cause your head to tilt, which will cause you to lean forward. Leaning forward will cause stress on your back and knees. Also, it requires more energy to support a body that looks like it is chasing a rolling quarter. So, heads up!
Runner's World devotes a whole page to Running Form. Read a few entries so you get a grander picture of the importance of good running form. Then decide for yourself what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment