Sunday, November 20, 2011

It is so annoying to me when cheerful people admonish the surly grouches of the world like me that “happiness is a choice.”

The frustrating reality is, of course, that this is true.

When I look back on the 2 to 3 years of sheer gloom and depression in my life and the transformation when I emerged from it all, if I can say that I had an epiphany it occurred when I made the distinct choice that I would no longer accept depression and that I would choose to be happy.

To be sure, most anyone who knows me would not accuse me of being a cheerful canary of song and smile. Truth is, I am a downright moody person, so much so that I annoy even myself – which is a good thing because it serves as an easy reminder that I will not tolerate such ridiculous behavior and that I choose to be happy.

Happiness is a state of mind and most honestly reflects, in my opinion, contentment. Happiness is not necessarily exaltation, jubilation, or glee, which more accurately represent levels of happiness. No, the happiness I describe is across-the-board, everyday contentedness.

Sure, there are certainly moments of pants-wetting joy in our lives, but such occasions are infrequent. Besides, living with that much excitement in our lives might be fun for a while, but our hearts couldn’t stand it, let alone our pants.

I also believe that most people base their happiness as a reaction to some external stimuli. They laugh when they hear a joke. They smile when they see a baby or puppy. They sigh at a beautiful flower-carpeted meadow. They cheer for their team. And they cry at their child’s birth.

When there is a dearth of stimuli, such people might find themselves bored, uneasy, and even unhappy. In the void of happy thoughts and good feelings creeps in the specter of disappointment, annoyance, aggravation – and worse – depression. Without something to react to, reactionary people find themselves less-than-happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment