Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This you must do

Take 10 minutes and think about what you wanted to be when you grew up. Think about what you now want to be when you grow up. Think also about what you want to have, do, experience. Be the little kid and dream the ideal life without the entanglement of caveats and disclaimers. Meanwhile mediate on what Tom Robbins, one of my favorite authors, says: “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

Or, take the approach that Seven Habits of Highly Effective People guru Stephen Covey would suggest, which is: begin with the end in mind. In other words, if you can pretend that you are now at the end of your life looking back over your personal history, what do you wish you would have experienced, accomplished, enjoyed? How do you want to be remembered?  In other words, if you had to live your life over again, what would you do differently? Write it down. Mediate on the list. What has happened between then and now? What can happen between now and forever? What’s stopping you?

 Oh, and try to shove a marathon or two in that list.


I confess, when I was growing up – and by “growing up” I mean from childhood up until last week – my list included the following:

  • Veterinarian
  • Pilot
  • Architect
  • Artist
  • Astronomer
  • Writer
  • House on the beach
  • House in the mountains
  • Indiana Jones

Again, these were the dreams of a child, and they reflected my reality at that moment in time. I am sure that at the time I expected 95% of the means by which these dreams were to be attained were based on my parents getting them for me.

And that’s the great things about dreams: they evolve based on your reality. A BIG THING of today quite literally could be your “yawn” of tomorrow. Better still, even BIGGER THINGS come along that strike up your band.


Obviously, very little of my list actually materialized. Did I fail? What happened to those childlike ambitions? When I was 12 years old my family visited the Nation’s Capital. Touring the monuments, the White House and the FBI filled me with amazement. I was so charged I couldn’t stand it. Then, on a tour of the U.S. Senate chamber floor, I walked in the place and among the desks of American legend where the history of our country was forged.


It was there at that time I got bit by the bug. That moment so transformed my life that it shaped everything about me since then. As much as Americans despise their government, I love it. I love it so. It is the living legacy that links us from present-day United States directly to the Continental Congress.


Because of “Potomac Fever,” my life’s other desires seemed to diminish. I was less interested in becoming architect, artist, astronomer, and so on. Still, I maintain amateur biologist’s interest in flora and fauna, a working man’s pursuit of stars and planets, and I love love love to write. Despite your opinion of my skills to the contrary, I thrive on writing and will do so forever.


So you see, I never gave up on that youngster’s deep thoughts of chasing down the possible. I discovered what was truly important to me and chased it down. And one day, I promise you, I will become Indiana’s distant, less handsome cousin, Louisiana Jones.

 More importantly, I dream now all the time. I think BIG THING thoughts constantly. That’s why running for me is such a personal enjoyment. Others choose to plug their ears with headphone; I like to think. The time spent on the road is as therapeutic as it is inspirational because it allows me the special “me time” where I visit the child and imagine all the wonderful things ahead in my unfolding happy childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment