Sunday, May 6, 2012

Aching ankles, shoe adjustments - the sequel



Way back yonder when I was training for the Houston Marathon, I wrote about the torture besetting my ankles and Achilles heels. At the time I was logging respectable, but not aggressive, miles -- say, 24-32 miles a week - as I prepared one month out before the race.

My original intent was to train mostly in older, but not inadequate, shoes that still were well within their recommended lifetime miles of 400 miles, then transition over to new shoes. This plan would allow me to have "fresh" shoes for the race while giving me time to break them in.


Gnashing not to scale
Oh the pain. Early morning runs began with gnashing of teeth and pulling of my breast because of the near-tendon popping tightness and pain emanating from my Achilles and heel, and from the ankle-separating pain sort of at the bend between chin and foot and the top of the foot.

Both sensations caused me to run kind of club-footed for 1/2 mile to a mile until I warmed up enough to suck it up. Even still, the Achilles pain usually lingered.

I even tried new stretching techniques, concentrating on the calves. And by "new" stretching techniques, I mean I actually started stretching my calves, which I never really do. I'm having a "do as I say, not as I do" moment. Anyway, nothing worked, until I remembered, as I always do late during marathon training, that the new shoes may be the culprit.

So, as I blogged before, I made adjustments to my new shoes.

You know how new shoes come tightly laced out of the box, or not even laced at all, which the store salesperson usually laces up right there in front of you with the shoe in their laps and not on your feet?

For me this almost always means that the shoe is too tight. When working ina new pair of shoes, I always do this toe kicking thing while running to position my toes further toward the toe of the shoe. This would suggest a losely laced and tied shoe, but actually it is a tightly laced shoe that forces the foot toward the back/heel of the shoe.

For me, the remedy has always been to give my feet some breathing room in the shoe by loosening the laces and allowing the feet to find their position in the shoe more comfortably. Eventually, I may tighten the laces, but that just comes with constant adjustments over time.

So, why am I repeating a previous blog topic? Because I am here to report that the solution worked. The feet feel great and the running is more or less painless -- at least there is no pain in the ankles or heels.

1 comment:

  1. i sometimes get pain right at the end of the arch to the beginning of my heel.
    when i push it down it hurts, but then putting pressure on it makes it
    go away a little bit. then if i were to walk, the heels of my feet would
    be really sore but the pain would go away
    again. it happens to both feet. is this some sort of foot condition?
    if so, what's the name of it.. . ** i live in hawaii so i usually use slippers (flip flops) to school and i use shoes seldomly. i also walk around a lot on campus and stand a long time at work..
    Also see my web site > feet skin problems

    ReplyDelete