Monday, July 9, 2012

Ran sprints yesterday morning

Felt really good. I was too lazy to run 6 miles, which I should have, but wanted more exercise than the routine 3 miles.

So I integrated three 1-minute sprints into the 3 mile jog -- well, any passing observer would describe it more as "sustained tripping" than actual sprinting.

Here's how it went:

1. Warm up jog to first long street - 5 mins

2. Sprint 1 min at first long street

3. Jog to next long street

4. Rinse & repeat 2 times

5. Jog home

Sprinting during jogs, like running a 5K, causes me to push muscle systems that I either use very little during jogging or don't use at all -- particularly abs... Even shoulders.

Overall it feels like a good muscular work out, like swimming laps at a pool.

Still, there is no substitute for the long runs, which I need to return to already. Nonetheless, I will integrate sprints back into my running diet.

I don't think I've sprinted regularly since the 1996 Marine Corps Marathon training. That was before I discovered cutting corners and the wonders of half-ass training, which I prefer to call "efficiency".





Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment