Friday, December 2, 2011

The 2% Fulcrum

My wife says that I am perhaps among 2 percent of the entire global population who think this way – and she is not, I might add, flattering me.  And she’s probably right. But I believe that 100 percent of the planet – meaning everybody – dream for a better life, wish they could play the piano, want more money, want true love, want to excel at work, want to lose weight, want to hit all their free-throws, want As and Bs on their report cards, want to be healthier, want _______ (insert your desire here).


Many people observe celebrity and wish they were rich, famous or superbly talented. This is the unfortunate byproduct of witnessing greatness and wanting to have it. Most folks focus on the end result and disregard the years of blood, sweat and tears it takes to create such greatness.


Everybody wants something – something they consider unattainable or impossible to achieve – and merely dismiss such dreaming as passing fancy or pipe dreaming.


 Have you ever whined, “Oh, I wish I could…” or “If I only had….”? Of course you have. Or, if you haven’t whined about it, you secretly have held a desire to have or do something more than what you’ve got or done so far. 


Before I trained for my first marathon, I easily dismissed such fanciful notions of marathons and mountain climbing as ridiculously out of my reach. Boy, have I changed.
 

Well, you can do whatever it is you want, and you can have that which you desire. You see, yes, there are perhaps only 2 percent of the world’s population that think this way, but it takes the 2 percent to show the other 98 percent that dreams are real and can come true.
 
And by the way, it is the 98 percent who either work for or admire the glamorous 2 percent. Hmmm. Maybe there’s something to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment