Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What you missed last week in the world of marathon training...

Last week's readership was lower than usual, mainly, I suspect, because I got off the subject of marathon training proper and jumped into the subject of dreaming big dreams and going for them.

The subject is, I'll admit, somewhat saccharine. Indeed, I cringe at the word "dreams" and the image of beamy-eyed New Agers trying to coax me into believing in myself and following my dreams. But, as I mentioned in last week's entries, there's a point to all this.

Dreams are those wishes and desires that are seemingly outside our reach. If they weren't so hard to reach, they'd be called errands.

Dreams inspire us because they represent an ideal version of our lives or a thrilling achievement that would, if realized, greatly impact our lives. If they weren't, they'd be called a "To do list."

Marathons -- among other amazing feats -- fit into the category of dreams because (a) they are seemingly impossible to the mere mortal and/or (b) if you train for and finish a marathon, you will be a different person afterward.

You don't have to dream about marathons. Your dreams can be about anything. I'm pretty sure most of your dreams, if you have them, have very little to do with marathon running or even exercise for that matter.

What's important is that you deliberately stir up what's inside you to realize your dreams -- whatever they are -- and to go after them.

The point of last week's blogs was to illustrate to you how I came upon the "dream" of finishing a marathon, how it changed my life, and how I discovered that it is important to constantly have a dream even if it isn't about marathon running.

We'll get back to marathoning soon, but don't ever pretend that this blog is exclusively about training for and finishing a marathon. It is about whatever dream or ambition you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment